|Collection||Mansfield General Hospital College of Nursing Archives|
|Title||Mansfield General Hospital College of Nursing Archives|
|Dates of Creation||1919|
|Scope & Content||
Mansfield General Hospital School of Nursing, Mansfield, Ohio.
Mansfield General Hospital, Mansfield, Ohio began as a four bed emergency station established in the basement of the YMCA in July 1902. The hospital became known as the "Emergency Hospital" on June 15, 1903. James Reynolds, secretary-treasurer of the Aultman-Taylor Company became its first president. In 1915 the name Mansfield General Hospital was choosen as well as the location on Glessner Avenue, Mansfield, Ohio. The site was purchased from farm land owned by Reid Carpenter at a cost of $5000. Vernon Redding and Associates was architect and Simon Small was general contractor for the building which opened in 1918. Mrs. Matilda J. Linskey was first superintendent of the hospital.
[Text taken from the School of Nursing 75th Anniversary 1919-1994-history booklet.]
May 20, 1918 saw the first patients admitted to Mansfield General Hospital. There was a fifty bed capacity. In a year's time the first plans for a nursing school were organized.
First Student Nurses
The School of Nursing opened in October, 1919, under the direction of Miss. Elizabeth Hatch, Superintendent of Nurses. Entrance requirements included only one year of high school along with an interview and references. Residence for the students was a nearby home on Vennum Avenue. Classes were attended on the third floor of the hospital. Students wore black stockings, gathered long aprons, blue dress, and modified sailor collar. Of the first four students admitted only one was to graduate. An announcement was made in the Mansfield News.
A student was expected to work in the hospital twelve hours a day and had only two hours of class a week. Miss. Hatch taught Nursing Arts; all other classes were taught by doctors-Dr. Charles Brown, Dr. Hattery, Dr. Raney, Dr. Woltman, Dr. Keller, Dr. Stevens, Dr. Peppard, Dr. Nichols, Dr. Goodman, and Dr. Black. One afternoon a week was free for recreation. For her work each student received a monthly allowance of $10 the first year, and $12 the second and third years.
A school is built
Mr. and Mrs. Charles Ritter, as a memorial to their daughter, made a gift of $25,000. Ground was broken for the new nurses home in July 1922. An open house was held November 11, 1923 to show the completed school. A bronze tablet in the foyer holds the words: "This home erected in memory of Margaret Louise Ritter, wife of Avery L. Sterner, 1923." At this time the student body totaled twenty.
Through the years
In September, 1924, the first public graduation exercises were held. Seven young women received their pins and diplomas--Ruby F. Mauer, Ann G. Hull, Elizabeth Bending, Katherine Van Tilburg, Fanchon Miller, Laura Ricker, and Gayle Rife. In July of the following year, the School of Nursing became accredited by the State of Ohio. This same year the Class of 1924 organized the Alumnae Association, which is still active today. Miss. Rife was chosen president; Miss. Ruby Mauer, vice president; Miss. Laura Ricker, secretary and treasurer; Miss. Van Tilburg and Miss. Bending, trustees.
1942 saw an addition to the nurses home. Sixty students could now be accommodated.
In 1944 the student government association was organized.
In 1955 more modern and liberalized nursing views were realized as the first male students were admitted.
The third expansion of the home came in 1958 when the Gayle Rife Auditorium, additional classrooms and addition dormitory rooms were built.
The School of Nursing was proud to receive the N.L.N. accreditation in 1969.
1970-Fifty Year Anniversary
The School of Nursing provides living quarters for approximately 130 students with nearby homes for male students, The school is equipped with a beautifully furnished living room, two date rooms, kitchens on each floor and laundry facilities. Hairdyers and a sewing machine are provided for student use. For leisure time there is a sun deck, color TV, volley ball court and library. Classrooms are bright and air-conditioned. Teaching models, laboratories, audiovisual aids and a practice hospital setting increase interest and learning.
The life of today's student nurse at MGH is quite different from that of yesteryear. The beginning student is still introduced to the clinical area very early but only after adequate classroom preparation. Her weekends are free until the latter part of her third year. She has courses in Diet Therapy but is no longer directly involved in actual food preparation in the hospital. Beginning this year Freshmen will be attending classes in Chemistry, Psychology nursing, intensive care nursing, emergency room, maternity. operating room pediatrics, and public health. The senior student has learning experience with team leading and professional growth.
Throughout her program the student must maintain a certain accumulative academic average. Her clinical assignments are planned with her classwork to meet her learning needs. Today's student nurse has more liberal leisure time hours, can marry, and can live away from the school if she desires.
The School works closely with the community and students have many opportunities to visit community agencies and clinics.
The 33 month program is designed with the goal of preparing men and women for leadership in the dynamic, ever growing field of professional nursing today. This year the School of Nursing graduated twenty-one women making a total of 826 graduates. The 1970 statement was written by Carol Derkin and Julie Kozma. This section was copied from the 50th Anniversary booklet.
Many challenges in nursing have occurred in the last twenty-five years, which have prompted changes in nursing education. Implementation of computerized adaptive testing (CAT) for the National council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) occurred across the country on April 1, 1994.
Mansfield General Hospital School of Nursing has been utilizing computer assisted education for several years. In 1987, the Helene Fuld Health Trust grant proposal was submitted by Regina Dubs. As a result of its approval, the first computer lab was initiated. A second Helene Fuld Health Trust grant was received in 1990 which allowed expansion of the computer lab and the opening of the Helene Fuld Annex which housed the interactive video equipment and an additional computer for faculty and student use. A third Helene Fuld grant in 1993 facilitated the consolidation of the computer equipment into one Helene Fuld Computer Lab.
Decreasing enrollments in schools of nursing across the country in the mid 1980's led to a major change in the School's curriculum. As directed by the Board of Trustees, the School converted from a three year curriculum to a two year curriculum. In 1989, the last class of three year students graduated, and the first class of two year students graduated.
The following is from the Mansfield News Journal August 3, 1977.
190 acres Balgreen Farm Gift for Medical Center. By Marguerite Miller. Balgreen Farm, known to generations of Mansfielders for its flower garden and stately buildings, has been given to Mansfield General Hospital for development of medical services facilities. The donor, Hortense Rigby Tucker and her husband Col. John H. Tucker, Jr. of Shreveport, La., have carried out the wishes of Mrs. Tuckers late parents, Mr. and Mrs. J. Arthur Rigby, with the gift. The farm consist of 190 acres of wooded and cultivated land on both sides of Marion Avenue Rd., just west of South Trimble Rd. Market value of the farm is estimated at $2 million. The farm is seen as the first step in development of a campus-style medical center where Mansfield General Hospital can be expanded and eventually relocated as the hub of a total service health care area to serve a population of 250,000 population.
Ashland University, Ashland, Ohio and MedCentral College of Nursing, Mansfield, Ohio announce merger agreement effective August 15. In March, 2010 the two parties signed a letter of intent to transfer MedCentral Nursing College to Ashland University.
June 16, 2011
Breaks ground for a $15.5 million Dwight Schar College of Nursing facility located at the corner of Trimble Road and Marion Avenue, Mansfield, Ohio. This building replaces the MedCentral facility on Glessner Avenue in Mansfield, Ohio.
College of Nursing, Mansfield, Ohio.
School of Nursing-Mansfield General Hospital, Mansfield, Ohio.