|Collection||Young, Hugo and Mabel, collection.|
|Title||The Hugo and Mabel Young collection|
Hugo H. Young (April 12, 1890-November 21, 1972), and Mabel B. Young (1893-January 10, 1980) were residents of Loudonville, Ohio. Hugo was born on his father's farm near Loudovnille, Ohio, the son of George H. and Sarah M. (Schmidt) Young. He attended the public schools, and was graduated from Loudonville High school in 1908. After graduation, Mr. Young was awarded a scholarship in art by the eminent John H. Vanderpool to study as his pupil in St. Louis, MO, but the death of Mr. Vanderpool prevanted him taking advantage of this opportunity.
Sometime later he took a course in accounting and business administration at the Mansfield Business College, then returned to Loudonville to take a position as bank teller with the Farmers Bank, which his grandfather, Jacob Schmidt, had served as president for twenty years.
Mr. Young was also interested in mechanical engineering. He invented the Flxible side car for motorcycles in 1912. He organized a company, incorporated at $25,000, 1914 and begun manufacturing side cars at Loudonville. By 1921 the capital stock had increased to $500,000. In motorcycle side car racing the Flxible holds all official national championships since 1919. From 1915 to 1940, Charles F. Kettering served as president of the Flxible Company, with Hugo Young serving as executive vice-president. From 1940 until 1963, Mr. Young has served as president and chairman of the board of the Flxible Company.
Since 1925 Mr. Young has developed a special line of busses, funeral cars, ambulances and custom built motor cars. About 150 people are employed in the plant, which carries on a large volume of business annually.
On June 25, 1917, Mr. Young was united in marriage with Miss. Mabel Betrice Miles of Mansfield, the daughter of Harley and Mae (Heffelfinger) Miles, native of Ohio. Mr. Miles died in 1926 and his widow lives at Mansfield. Mr. and Mrs. Young had no children. Mabel Young had lived in Loudonville since 1923. Mrs. Young attended Kent State University and was given an honorary Doctor of Humanities degree from Ashland University in 1978. In February 1971, Ashland Univeristy dedicated its new theatre as the Dr. and Mrs. Hugo Young Theatre for the Preforming Arts.
Mr. Young had taken an active interest in community music and is director of the Flxible Company Band. He was identified with the Ashland County Band as its director for several years and was director of the Loudonville Band. He is a member of the Society of Automotive Engineers, the Loudonville Chamber of Commerce and Rotary Club. He is a 32nd degree Mason, also a member of the Knights Templar, Shrine, K. of P. and I.O.O. F Lodges. From 1958 to 1962, Mr. Young has served two terms as president Ohio Chamber of Commerce. In 1965, Mr. Young was awarded an honorary Doctor of Laws degree from Ashland University.
|Dates of Creation||1957 to 1978|
|Scope & Content||
The following files are part of the collection.
1-Young, Hugo. Biographical
18-Young, Hugo-Article Ashland Times-Gazette-A Look Back at the Life of Hugo H. Young, by Betty Plank. October 11, 2003.