|Collection||Vermillion Institute-Hayesville Academy|
Certificates-Shares of stock in the Vermillion Oil and Gas Company 1906 (3).
Clippings by Dr. S. Diefendorf -"Recollections of Vermillion Institute No. 1 (plus copy).
Clippings by Dr. S. Diefendord-"Recollections of Vermillion Institute No. 2 (plus copy).
Correspondence [from] Marjorie P. Reynolds-1958 Jan 13 (includes inventory of record books and other items sento to College from the Vermillion Institute)
Correspondence [to] Maudie Nesbitt )from Marjorie P. Reynolds)- 1958 July 19.
Diaries of T. J. Armstrong
Excelsior Literary Soceity 1852-1871
Excelsior Literary Society 1856-1858
Excelsior Literary Society 1858-1861
Excelsior Literary Society 1867-1873
Eccrettean society 1868-1875
Philo Literary Society 1878-1882
Vermillion Township Farmers Club 1871-1873
Negative-glass slide [of] Algerbra Class at Vermillion Institute 1859 [has copy print]
Program for Order of Exercises at the Annual Exhibition of the Excelsior Society of Vermillion Institute 1856 October 1.
Program for Union Entertainment of the Philo and Calliopean Societies of Vermillion Institute 1875 June 21.
Program for reunion of the Old Students of Vermillion Institute 1877 Auguust 21-23
Program for In Memorium 1923 May 30.
Publications by Vriginia Patterson Early History of Hayesville and Vermillion Township 1976, Historic Hayesville Past and Present 1996.
Items from Ashland County Historical Society
Reproduction-panaromic photo class reunion 1916 or 1917.
Autograph book 1880-1881 Effie Brant-has loose items included.
Autograph book [transferred from Humboldt county Historical Society, Eureka, California.] 1877-1878 Ella Kinninger.
|Object Name||Vermillion Institute|
|Scope & Content||
Hayesville Academy/Vermillion Institute
The first efforts to bring advanced formal education to the children of Hayesville and Vermillion township was in 1842 when a private high school was opened in the village by Rev. Lewis Granger from Granville, Ohio. The school did not survive and its location in the village is unknown. From this venture the citizens' desire for formal education was pursued. On March 4, 1845 an act to incorporate the Vermillion Institute was granted by the Ohio Legislature to the citizens of Hayesville. The original stockholders in the institute were: Harrison Armstrong, William Hughes, J. L. McLain, Lewis Granger, A. Armentrout, William W. Irwin, George Buchanan, Archibald Gillis, John Harmon, Jesse Higbee, Joseph Workman, Michael Culler, William W. Scott, Thomas W. Coulter, J. C. Naylor and Edmund Ingman.
The object of the institute was to educate males and females in letters and sciences, and to instruct them in the elements of morality and the great truths of the Christian religion. Construction of the three story New England style main building in Hayesville was begun in 1845 with the corner stone being laid on July 4th. An assembly room was on the first floor where students had to be each morning for chapel. Classrooms were on the second and on the third floor were two large rooms and the library. Also located near this building were two large boarding halls which held a hundred students each. The Rev. J. L. McClean was elected its first president for the institute at this time. The institute course of study was of a collegiate routine. Following a period of 5 years the institute was sold to the Presbyterians of Richland County in 1850 and later in 1854 the Wayne and Coshocton County Presbyterians would join in this venture. The original board of trustees was comprised of 10 members, however the board size was increased to 15 following the purchase by the Presbyterian Churches of Richland, Wayne and Coshocton Counties.
A long time associate of the institute was the learned scholar Professor Sanders Diefendorf, a Presbyterian minister, who was the principal for the school in 1851. In 1866 he left Hayesville when the Vermillion Institute was not accepted as the site for the new Presbyterian college which was located in Wooster. Others who also served as principals during this time included:
Prof. J. Simpson 1867
Prof. A. J. Ross 1868
Prof. S. Diefendorf 1869
Prof. W. J. Brugh 1870
John Martin 1872
Prof. J. A. Bower 1873
Out of this school came prominent jurists, missionaries, teachers and preachers. Some of these included: Rev. Jonathan Finley, Rev. Jesse Emory Fisher, Judge Joseph Reed, Dr. Henry S. Lehr, Miss Hattie Noyes, Rev. Joseph Myers, Senator Altee Pomerene, John K. Cowen, Dr. Frank S. Fox, William L. Strong, Rev. Sheldon Jackson, Rev. Ralph Diffendorfer, Rev. Leslie Rush, and Rev. Lena Jennings. At one time the school had an attendance of 600 students.
In 1874 the Vermillion Institute was sold back to the citizens of Hayesville by the Presbyterian Churches. At that time the school became a non sectarian institution. About two years later Professor Diefendorf would return to the school as its principal. For about the next ten years Professor Diefendorf would again lead the school. In 1886 the Hayesville High School program begins. The academy building would be used for its classrooms. By 1929 the new combined school building opened west of the village. At that time the old academy building was no longer used for education.
Vermillion Institute, Hayesville, Ohio.