Ashland University Archives logo

Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Collection Reconciliation Hearing Sergeantsville Church
Title Reconciliation Hearing Sergeantsville Church
Accession number BCA07-11
Caption First Brethren Church, Sergeantsville, New Jersery
Catalog Number BCA07-11
Credit line Brethren Church Archives; 524 College Ave; Ashland, OH
Dates of Creation March 10, 2000
Imagefile 001\BCA0711.JPG
Notes The following files are found in this collection:

Arbitration Decision, Follow-up Letter
Bill Yoder from Cooksey
Center of Mediation and Reconciliation Services, 1998
Center of Mediation and Reconciliation Services, 1999
Center of Mediation and Reconciliation Services, 2000
Church Deed and Legal Papers
Correspondence 1970
Correspondence 1985
Correspondence 1986
Correspondence 1991
Correspondence 1995
Correspondence 1996
Correspondence 1997
Correspondence 1998
Correspondence 1999
Correspondence 2000
Correspondence Undated
Deeds and Maps
Exhibits [green notebook]
First Brethren Church, Sergeantsville, NJ, A Hundred Years of Faith, 1898-1998
Package 1 to 3
Package 4 to 6
Pastor Bill Yoder, 1 of 2
Pastor Bill Yoder, 2 of 2
Steve Spayd, 1 of 3
Steve Spayd, 2 of 3
Steve Spayd, 3 of 3
The following three cassette tapes are part of this collection:
[Board of Organizational Oversight] B.O.O. Meeting w/ Sergeantsville, 11-14-96, tape 1
[Board of Organizational Oversight] B.O.O. Meeting w/ Sergeantsville at Wayne Heights - 11-14-96, Tape 2
[Board of Organizational Oversight] B.O.O. Meeting w/ Sergeantsville at Wayne Heights - 11-14-96, Tape 3
Object Name Records
Related Publications Record 1 of 1
TITLE Two centuries of the Church of the Brethren; or, The beginning of
the brotherhood; bicentennial addresses at the annual
conference, held at Des Moines, Iowa, June 3-11, 1908 /
Published by authority of conference.
IMPRINT Elgin, IL : Brethren publishing house, 1908.
CALL # BX7822 .C48 1908.

Scope & Content The files found in this collection pertain to the Reconciliation Hearing for First Brethren Church, Sergeantsville, NJ. The church was begun formally in the late 19th century per efforts of I.D. Bowman of Philadelphia, PA.; but its community of faith shared with a few neighboring churches Brethren history extending back to Johannes Naas. In 1897, congregants met at a private residence and later in a harness shop. On March 19, 1898, members were officially organized. An edifice was erected in 1899. Through the years, pastors included Brethren clergy as well as men from other denominations. The church was remodeled in 1969. The Hearing pertains to a March 10, 2000 decision of Arbitrators, indicating specifications of property ownership subsequent to the congregation's apparent request to be withdrawn from and disassociated as to The Brethren Church. Various materials pertaining to Brethren Church history is presented as incidental.
Search Terms Brethren Church