|Collection||Hillcrest Brethren Church records, Dayton, Ohio.|
|Title||Hillcrest Brethren Church records, Dayton, Ohio.|
|Caption||Hillcrest Brethren Church, Dayton, Ohio|
|Classification||Churches & Temples|
|Creator||Hillcrest Brethren Church|
|Dates of Accumulation||1882 to 1991|
|Dates of Creation||1882|
This collection was organized by the following scheme.
The following subject headings are used for this collection.
1-Histories of the church.
3-Congregational meetings (1945-1991).
5-Financial records and information 1940-1991.
8-Trustees and church property.
9-Women's Missionary Society.
10-The 1939 church split and legal case.
|Scope & Content||
The Hillcrest Brethren Church of Dayton, Ohio was organized in 1882. Elder J. W. Beer with 12 other members met in the Old German Baptist Brethren Church in Dayton, Ohio. In 1899 this group of members bought a church building on Conover Street. By 1908 42 new members joined this organization that year. By January 21, 1911 a need for a new church building was realized from this rapidly growing congregation. As a result this organization purchased land on Grosvenor Street to erect a new church building. This new building was dedicated May 12, 1912 which by this time the church membership had reached 1000 members.
In 1939, following the division of the Ashland Brethren from the Grace Brethren group caused this congregation to split. Following much discussion the group loyal to the Ashland Brethren was forced to leave this earlier church building. By 1943 this group had erected a new building on Hillcrest Avenue in Dayton, Ohio. This new building was designed after the Patrick Henry Church of Richmond, Virginia. On September 11, 1945 a mortgage burning ceremony for this new structure was held.
Records from this church were presented to Ashland Theological Seminary, Ashland, Ohio upon the closing of the Hillcrest Brethren Church. The collection was organized at some point by a member of this church. The numerous file storage boxes contained a detailed inventory guide to the collection. However, due to the lack of a series guide, the collection was reorganized when acquired by the Brethren Church Archives from the Ashland Theological Seminary, November 11, 2004. This procedure was done to allow for a simplified filing scheme for the collection.
Hillcrest Brethren Church, Dayton, Ohio